Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Gwo Jean

So, we are still here in Gwo Jan. We are near Port au Prince but it feels very rural, with pigs, chickens, goats, etc. all roaming about. This past weekend we hiked to the top of a mountain--and we now know Haiti is all mountains. So going "up" the mountain mean going up and down almost equally to finally go....up. We relaxed at a guest house at the top and hung out with our new MCC co-workers playing a made-up version of Apples to Apples with our own words. The hike itself took about 4 hours each way and we were chased by storm clouds both up and down, and were finally caught in a downpour on our way "down" (read: going up mostly). We saw a nice forested area at the top with streams and waterfalls; overall, it was a really pretty place. (And we had a great time in all, despite the fact that Sharon was sick all night long on Saturday...there's nothing like trying to sleep in a tent with a dozen people around and having to get up every hour to vomit. Fun. She's better now, though.)

Since Monday we've been back at Gwo Jan with daily trips to Port au Prince. Today we wandered around a bit to see fair trade woodworkers and a supplier for 10,000 Villages. The day was exhausting even though we did nothing but sit and listen mostly, but I guess it is "trying" to listen and understand that is exhausting. For me personally (Bryan) the language training is difficult. I feel like I've been given the keys to drive after never seeing a car before and getting only a Cliff Notes version of drivers ed. I get really frustrated and just need to calm down and not be so hard on myself, but I feel like I should be learning faster, which makes it hard to calm down.

We are also having a "homestay" which means sleeping and eating with a family in the village. We've only been there for one night so far, so I can't give an average day's account as of yet, but maybe in the next post I will. Our schedule is mostly unknown to us, but I do know we are going to Cap Haitian on the 14th--so pull out your maps and check it out.

3 comments:

Kathy said...

I'm sure that the homestay will help you pick up the language. Don't worry, it'll come (that's us reassuring ourselves too)

Laura Smarrito Melizyaev said...

On the contrary, I think it will be a long and arduous process that will send you spiraling into a pit of despair. Love you guys.

Brent said...

I hope everything is going well with you guys learning the kreol and such. Mom, dad, velvet, and mason miss you a lot. I know Jenn and I will try to visit you while you guys are in Haiti. You know I've always looked up to you in everything you've done. You have such courage to take unknown ventures, and that gives me strength to fulfill my journey's.