Friday, August 1, 2008

At last

After several significant delays--a cancelled flight in Miami with an airline-sponsored hotel night, waiting forever for luggage to appear--we finally emerged intact from the airport in Port-au-Prince. In Haiti at last! We visited with the MCC personnel in the main office, then were whisked away to a guest house in a small town nearby called Gwo Jan. The town is very hilly and green; we've seen mango, papaya, sugar cane, and grapefruit, among other things. Here we are studying Creole and meeting lots of people (and technically we're not permitted to use English during these first few weeks, so you'll have to forgive me here).

Our room, outside and in:



Showers:


View of a neighboring house from the balcony:


Tomorrow morning we're supposed to get up at 4:00 a.m. (apparently I'm expected to turn into a completely new person!) and meet the other MCCers to hike up a nearby mountain and camp overnight. It's supposed to be quite beautiful.

Speaking of becoming a completely new person, "Sharon" sounds like "smelly, rotten" in Creole, so they have asked me to go by my middle name instead. "Joy" it is for the next 3 years. I hope I can remember to answer to that when I hear it!

Pictures to come--we're in the midst of a ten-minute break in our Creole lesson, so we'll post photos when we have a little more time.

Love,

us

9 comments:

Beth said...

I'm glad you made it safely to Haiti. Thanks for posting the pics! It's nice to get an idea of where you guys are staying. Hope you enjoy the hike. Bon chans.

Praying for you,
Beth H :)

Unknown said...

Praise God, Joy & Bryan- (Who would have guessed about the "Sharon" sound?!) We love you & look forward to many more entries & pictures. (It looks beautiful there!)
Love, love, love,
Mom & Dad

Shirley said...

So very glad to hear you arrived safe and sound. I know your glad that your adventure has finally started, enjoy each step. Will be waiting for your next posting.

All our love~
Mom and DAd

Shirley said...

so very glad to hear you've made it safely to Haiti. Enjoy each step of your new adventure. Love seeing all your pictures and yes you are the best looking couple!

Love always

Mom and Dad

Kathy said...

Glad you arrived safely. Thanks for posting pictures, we now have an idea where you will be for the next while. Hope the language study goes well.

Bill said...

Glad to know that finally made it. Keep in touch to let us know what's going on. The ADVENTURE begins!

Love ya!
Dad

Kim said...

"Joy" is my middle name too! I'm partial to it and think it is a beautiful name. Great to read about your experiences via your blog. Thanks for sharing!
Kim

Laura Smarrito Melizyaev said...

Am I the only one who isn't glad you made it safe and sound? Am I the only one who secretly wished you would be swallowed up by a mythical sea beast?

Joy Bowman Lim said...

Sharon/Joy & Bryan,
Glad to hear you are both well in Haiti.
Of course I love that you are going by your middle name, Sharon! When I visited Guatemala a few years ago, my host family in Santiago Atitlan told me that 'Joy' sounded like the word for diarrhea in their indigenous language. They nicknamed me 'Gozo'- which I guess is somewhat similar to joyful in Spanish!
I'm enjoying your blog and praying for you both!