Friday, September 19, 2008

Our first day of work (!)

After about two months of getting oriented to Haiti (and wildly disoriented), learning Creole, and meeting new people, we were finally able to put in an honest day's work.

We rose around 6:00 to meet with the administrative committee for one of the local tree nurseries. Alexis, Pancha (MCC's Connecting People Coordinator), Bryan, and I split up to visit three nurseries. Bryan and I actually went together with Michelet, a Haitian MCCer, on motorcycles and moto-taxis. He dropped us off in front of a school and took off, leaving us standing there with a few men from the committee. I tried to inquire about where he was headed, but instead of asking "Where is Michelet going?" I accidentally asked "Where is Michelet from?" --and got the appropriate response.

He eventually returned and the meeting commenced. I feel like our Creole is definitely improving: we were able to follow most of what was being said, although certainly not all. Little by little...

Because we waited around in the morning, I thought it would be wise to take my book along on the afternoon trip to see a ti foret, a little forest or tree garden. We again hopped on motorcycles and headed up a nearby mountain. However, the motorized portion of our trip ended in a hike down a ravine to a river and up the hillside before we reached the forest.

Franklin, one of the staunch members of the reforestation team, helped us cross the river, which was higher than normal and moving pretty fast. Pancha had a great time crossing:


You wouldn't know it to look at them, but these kids were having the time of their lives splashing around in the river. "Photo mwen! Photo me!" It seems that Haitians do not smile for photos if they can help it. Happens every time.


The hike was absolutely gorgeous, despite the bruise developing on my shoulder from carrying a 600-page book along...


Michelet showed us the little nursery he has:


And last but not least, here's the cheesy photo taken of the new Dezam MCCers for the environmental education newsletter, going out next week. Hopefully we don't scare away any potential friends.

6 comments:

Brian said...

Hey guys, is that newsletter intended for us in the US, or is it local? If it is intended us in the US, how can I get a copy of that newsletter?

Bryan said...

The newsletter is only for teachers in this area (Desarmes), if we can get our hands on the file we may be able to attach to an e-mail. It is in Creole too....

Brian said...

Nevermind. That sounds a bit more complicated than the easy "add me to the list" that I was envisioning. At some point, even if in the not too near future, I'd love to hear some details about MCC's reforestation program in Haiti and specifically what you guys are up to. I tried MCC's website on Haiti, but it is a bit vague. Please don't waste too much time on me, since my request is not for any purpose other than fulfilling my curiosity. Your project sounds like such a beautiful example of being Christ to the world around us that I just get put in a good mood evertime I think about you guys. Hence the curiosity for details about your project. In reality, I'll probably get a good enough idea as I read your blog over the next few months!

Brian said...

by the way, I always forget to sign my comments. This is the FMC member formerly reffered to as "the other" Brian Thompson. (By the way, it was you getting married, not you going to Haiti, that makes me the only one.)

Kathy said...

That's great that you are able to start work and that you are starting to feel more comfortable with the language. Yeah for you!

Sharon said...

Oh, we might always know you as the "other Brian Thompson." =) That's a good idea, to post details about the program (especially since the MCC website doesn't have a lot of information). I think we'll wait a little longer, though, until we know the program a little better. I can go ahead say that it's pretty much the most amazing thing ever: it combines reforestation with environmental education and community development and self-empowerment and small business administration skills and a lot more. Stay tuned.