Thursday, September 11, 2008

Jesus and Jay-Z




Once again I am here to write about things that are not earth-shattering but occupy some of my time here. With all of our newfound study time here in Port-au-Prince, our Creole teacher has been giving us fun and interesting homework assignments. Most recently he has asked us to pick Bible stories and re-tell the stories in our own words (our own Creole words). Imagine a six-year-old trying to retell the story of Jesus walking on water.

Well, the best part is that "Jesus" in Creole is spelled "Jezi" and is pronounced "Jay-Z." Jay-Z happens to be the name of a fairly well-know rap artist that I secretly listen to. The funny part is that I can't seem to shake the imagery; every time I hear someone say Jezi I only hear Jay-Z and picture Jay-Z the rapper in Bible times walking on water, feeding the 5,000, and speaking in parables.

This has not been all bad. Haiti is about 99% black, but most people here imagine Jesus as a white man with a beard. I think that in the 6 weeks we've been here I've been told at least a dozen times that I look like Jesus (I've had men shout it from passing cars, kids, teenagers.... almost everyone thinks I look like Jesus). I've been asked why all the images of Jesus are of a white man, and I have no answer.

So in my mind Jesus is a fairly large black man that raps in parables and had a hard-knock life. It works for me and I'm not trying to shake the image yet.

On another, more serious, note, some members of our team are going to some hurricane- damaged areas tomorrow and next week. They'll be distributing food, water, medicine and other essentials. Please pray for them as they will see a lot of devastation and only have supplies to help a handful of people. (MCC is currently raising funds to help more flood victims.) Thank you for keeping us in your thoughts during these past several hurricanes, and please continue to remember the flood victims here in Haiti.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad to hear Jesus has a blog!!!

I guess those Haitiens are more direct than I am: I always meant to tell you you kind of look like Jesus...

By the time you'll be reading this you may be in Desarmes already (did your Creole teacher mentioned the origin of that name? in French it would be like 'dropping or abandoning weapons').

I've been thinking of the two of you, and Haiti, with all that's been happening weather wise.

Any chance you'll try more of your creole in your blog?

I am praying for you.


Pierre (FMC)

Anonymous said...

I hate to disagree with Pierre and numerous Haitians, but you do not look like Jesus. I clearly remember what Jesus looked like from the pictures that my Sunday School teacher showed us when I was a little one; he was heavier than you, had lighter hair, was considerably taller, and always wore a white dress with a blue sash.

Lizzie said...

Sharon and Bryan,

I have never really ever read a "blog" before - but I must say I have been interested in hearing how you are all doing in Haiti - we have been praying for you and the people of Haiti - we have only heard news of the damage and devistation - we are glad you are both ok.... and we pray that the much needed help can be brought to those who need it.

I enjoyed your writings on Jesus aka "Jay-Z" It is interesting how people have an image in their mind and can't seem to get it out. I was thinking of Warren Barfields song - "Mistaken for Jesus" - may the Lord shine through you both and use you in amazing ways - he has great plans for you. I know one thing I got sick of in Guatemala and Honduras was the fact that I (a 6 ft blonde hair white girl) would never blend in. how I just wanted to blend in and not stand out soo much. They yelled "que bonita" at me. It was one of those things that I had to realize that i would never blend in - i would forever be a minority there. It was a good lesson to learn... and a wonderful life changing experience. We are soo blessed - we need experiences like this to hlep us get our focus and priorities in life right. I am so proud of you guys for taking this leap of faith and serving the Lord in the way that you are.
Many blessings and safety to you as you serve His people in Haiti.

Love, THE TROSTLES
Liz, Jeremy, Josiah and New Baby T (Due to arrive in April)