Sunday, September 28, 2008

Animals



Okay, I like animals, so being here is one big search for wildlife for me. I've seen Red-tailed Hawks, American Kestrels, Black Vultures, Cattle Egrets, Snowy Egrets, Antillean mango and Hispaniolan Emerald hummingbirds, Hispaniolan woodpeckers, and a little bird called a Kolobri (pictured above) which is thought to be the prettiest of birds in Haiti.

Birding is somewhat difficult. When you ask someone the name of a bird they say "zwazo" which means "bird." On top of that, our bird guide for Haiti--unlike every other field guide in the world--is alphabetical. If I see a hawk, I need to already know the name of the bird or I have to page through the whole book looking for the correct picture. It's somewhat frustrating, but at least there is a guide.

Little-known fact: John James Audubon was born in Haiti.

Other animals I've seen but don't know species names for yet are:
lizards, snakes, spiders (including tarantulas), starfish, sea urchins, and lots of insects, including fireflies, dragonflies, mosquitoes, and--Sharon's favorite--ants. I have yet to be bitten and she, on the other hand, knows their bite all too well.

On the lookout--




Posted by Bryan, from Joy's account

No comments: