Friday, November 13, 2009

That's the...nicest? thing anyone's ever said to me.

Twice a month, the environmental education team visits two schools in Savanawòch (literally, a "savanna of rocks"). To get there, we have to drive, hike, take a canoe ferry, hike, take another canoe ferry, and then hike some more. I consider it to be a "moderately difficult" commute.

The wooden canoes are often leaky, overloaded, and poled by young men who may or may not know what they're doing. Since many Haitians can't swim, embarking in such a vessel is cause for no small anxiety. This anxiety is often remedied with singing or praying. Yesterday's tune was, rather mysteriously, "When the Roll is Called Up Yonder I'll Be There." They sang,

Le Jezi nan bàk mwen, m pa pe tonpet la

M pa pe tonpet la, m pa pe tonpet la (repet)
Le m vwayaje lòt bò

("When Jesus is in my boat, I'm not afraid of the wind
Not afraid of the wind, not afraid of the wind (repeat)
When I travel to the other side.")

After that verse came one about not fearing the gòl, or the long pole used to move the boat. And after that, the boat-man looked at me and sang,

Le Jezi nan bàk mwen, m pa pe blan...

Wow! So I as a white person was put in the same category as a force of nature and a piece of wood.

I of course immediately reassured him: "You don't need to be afraid of me. I already ate today, so I'm not hungry."

1 comment:

Ben said...

AHAHAHA! There you go again, terrifying people... You should have said, "I'll leave you be if you give me a small child to eat."
-A