Sunday, December 14, 2008

Crèche, Haitian style

Because Christmas is nearly invisible in Desarmes (business as usual, endlessly sunny weather), I'm especially glad to have this crèche we picked up at a craft fair a few months ago:


There are lots of things to love about it. The way the wise man's belly shows while his arm steadies the load on his head:


All these other characters:

Who are they? I'm not sure, but to me it seems totally Haitian to have a bunch of people standing around watching whatever is happening. "We can't not look," as Jean-Remy says. And really: where would be a better place to show up and check things out than the infamous stable in Bethlehem?

I love that Joseph is holding a flower:

It seems much more fitting than the lanterns or staffs the Josephs of my childhood always held. It's like he's offering a gift of his own.

And I must admit, I love that Jesus looks like a little cracker-topper. It's probably about as close to a holiday-party canapè as we'll get this year.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

I love the nativity set! So glad it is helping you to be in the Christmas spirit.